Friday, February 10, 2012

Research Roadtrip: Wildlife

In this final instalment on my trip down south I will fulfil my promise (and then some) of posting bird photos .

Northern royal albatross, Taiaroa Heads, Otago

More albatross, plus hoiho, godwit, giant petrels and more, after the jump...

Yellow-eyed penguin, Oamaru
Godwits, Karitane
Stilts, South Island pied & variable oystercatchers, black-billed gulls, Otago Peninsula
NZ fur seals, Taiaroa Head
Royal albatross (I think this one was a Southern Royal...
I know we saw one, but can't be sure if this was it without seeing its back)
Northern royal albatross and a Hector's dolphon
Havin' a scratch
White-capped albatross (left) and a northern royal (left) 
Giant petrel
Taiaroa Head, with Stewart Island shag colony
and viewing point for northern royal albatross nesting sites.


Nesting sites (the two white dots along the ridge line are also nests)

Northern royal coming in for a landing
Parent and chick

No comments: