Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Feb & March 2021 Consumption Diary

MUSIC - FEBRUARY

BOOKS


The End of October by Lawrence Wright (novel, audiobook)

Foresaw an influence pandemic and the disintegration of life as it was known in the US. Unfortunately, assumed this would play out the same way everywhere and the US would save the day. A good piece of speculation - and kind of absorbing - but on reflection: not a very good novel (later characters in particular are 2-dimensional).

The Lying Life of Adults by Elena Ferrante (novel, audiobook)

Ferrante through and through. Very good. How does it compare to the Neapolitan Quartet? Similar pretence of extreme self-divulgence from first person narrator. Same world. Less expansive, obviously (hard to compare a standalone novel to a quadrilogy). 

The Living Sea of Waking Dreams by Richard Flanagan (novel, audiobook)

I'm beginning to think I'm just not on the Richard Flanagan wavelength.

Reality & other stories by John Lanchester (short stories, audiobook)

A classic case of stories being fine in isolation, but when piled on top of each other in a collection the strengths get drowned out by the weaknesses. Like Black Mirror without the edge. Like Steven Millhauser without the imagination. A very normcore kind of twist-in-the-tale short story, rinsed and repeated.

Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart (novel, audiobook)

Not gonna lie, this felt long. Starting when Shuggie is on his own as a teen and then flashing back to when he's an infant and then staying in this flashback for 95% of the book is probably one factor. By then last 20% I was invested, and I think overall it's a good book. An instant classic, though? I'm not sure it brings anything new to the table, besides its fully realised characters.

Silver by Chris Hammer (novel, audiobook)

There's an event near the midpoint of this thriller, the sequel to Scrublands, that ratchets up the death toll. It felt exhilarating at the time. "Oho, the stakes are through the roof!" But each aspect of this event are unpicked relatively quickly and simply so that the narrative can return to the much less interesting, but precipitating death that occurred in its first pages. So: structural issues, but not definitely not "red stickered". Two books in and you can count me as a Hammer fan.

Remote Control by Nnedi Okorafor (novel, audiobook)

Fabular in mode, mildly futuristic in setting. Suffers from the classic fable flaws of a lack of depth and the clash of science/tech and magic.

How to Pack for the End of the World by Michelle Falkoff (novel, audiobook)

Good YA. Love the title. Enjoyed the book. But the title could lead you to expect some bad shit to go down on a global scale. Not here. Bad stuff = worrying about all the ways apocalypse might happen and standard high school hijinks. 

A Short History of Russia by Mark Galeotti (non-fiction, audiobook)

Too short. Lesson learnt.

The Secret Life of Mr Roos by Hakan Neeser (novel, audiobook)

Weird. Structure again. This is the 3rd inspector Barbarotti novel, but the inspector doesn't show up until halfway through the novel, when he's introduced to the case we've spent 200 pages with from the two suspects' perspective. Hard to establish or maintain much tension like that. But interesting to see someone try!

Intimations: Six Essays by Zadie Smith (essays, audiobook)

I really liked Smith's essay collection, Feel Free, but this one felt rattled off, responding directly to events in the first half of 2020. I'm interested in the tension between the ever-moving news cycle and how a book (with all the inertia the publishing industry applies) can interact with this. Six Intimations felt stuck in the middle. Too late to be contemporaneous, too insubstantial to be enlightening. 

Strange Flowers by Donal Ryan (novel, audiobook)

A mixed bag. Promising premise: a couple's daughter goes missing for five years and then returns. Ryan steers head-on into Irish racism but gets the speed wobbles. Failure of nerve, imagination or research? Dunno. 


FILM & TV

Taskmaster UK - Seasons 6, 7 & 10

Solar Opposites - Season 1

Made You Look: A True Story about Fake Art

Big Trouble in Little China

Shazam

Rushmore

The Darjeeling Limited

Taken 1

Taken 2

The Watch

Moxie - impossible to not compare unfavourably with Book Smart... one of it's flaws is the way it uses 1990s Riot Grrl / zine culture as the inspiration for a 2020s teen's feminist awakening, rather than something organic from contemporary culture (the seams really start to show when the film tries to be meaningfully intersectional inside of a bloated-feeling but still inadequate 1:50 runtime)... BUT it does mean - in isolation - it has a killer soundtrack. TopLady isnt on Spotify (so not on one of the playlists here) but check out Green Light Red Light from 2015 on Bandcamp!


MUSIC - MARCH


9 comments:

mofar said...

Natural roots and herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever for more information about herpes cure Please write Dr. Godwin for any health challenge email: drgodwinsolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348054615060 website https://drgodwinsolutionho.wixsite.com/drgodwinsolutionho

Martha said...

I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

franklin owen said...

Herbal treatment is 100% guaranteed for HSV cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV is because they believe in medical reports, drugs and medical treatment which is not helpful to cure HSV. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. i never thought i could ever get cured of herpes not until i met dr Okhai, i have used several drugs up to no avail, the symptoms keeps increasing at a certain time i couldn't seat in public with people the itching was much that it became embarrassing . My story changed when I came across dr.OKhai herbal post online. At first I was scared not to fall victim again because several fake herbal doctors had collected money from me and nothing happened. I didn't even see the herbal medicine nor did I get cured. So i summoned courage and i contacted him and within 4 days i receive the herbal medicine, prescription on how to use it was in it , i used it as prescribed for 18days and after 2days i went for test and herpes was no more, im so happy for the past 3yrs i have been living in pains. please if you are still out there suffering from herpes or any other form of infection i indulge you to contact dr Okhai and be healed so you can live your normal life again. You can reach him on drokhaiherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp ;+2347017709481
@drokhaiherbalcure.
https://m.facebook.com/Dr-Shaibu-Abacha-herbal-solution-home-100182575406766/?ref=opera_speed_dial
YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT HIM FOR OTHER INFECTIONS AND DEADLY DISEASES

Emma Ava said...

I want to appreciate the great work of Dr USELU, i have been diagnosed of HIV virus for 3 years, i have lose all hope that there is a cure and i have been taking medicine to sustain myself not until i got to know about Dr USELU, i contacted him and he sent me his herbal medicine which i took as prescribed by him for some days and i went to the hospital after finishing the herbal medicine. To my greatest surprise i was confirmed HIV Negative after years of being positive, it is indeed a miracle. You can contact him for help. he can also cure the following (1) BRAIN TUMOR (2) LUPUS (3) CANCER (4) HSV-1 (5) HPV (6) HERPES (7) PAD (8) DIABETES etc. his WhatsApp number +2347052898482 email: dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com is website: https://druseluherbalhome.simdif.com/

faith mary said...

I am really happy that i have been cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) with the herbal medicine of  Dr MOMOH , i have been suffering from this disease for the past 3 years and 4 mouth without solution until i came across the email of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine, i also choose to give him a chance to help me and my husband, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave us his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follow his instructions for use and he ask us to go for a check up after 1 week and 5days which i did, to my greatest surprise our result came out as negative, we are really happy that there is someone like this doctor who is ready to help anytime any day. To all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony, stop doubting it and contact this doctor if you really have one and see if he will not actually help you. i am not a stupid woman that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done for me and i know that there are some people out there who are really suffering and hurting their family just because of these diseases so you can Email him on dr.momoh9@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him on +2347083724098  he also told me that he has cure for these diseases listed below . HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS. .DIABETES . CANCER .HEPATITIS .HIV/AIDS Thank you for your time 

John woo said...

I had my first outbreak of Herpes virus nearly 2 years ago. Of all the torridness, the pain and itching were unbearable. I literally freaked out as my general physician said that it had no cure. The outbreaks were not that frequent initially, but every time I fall sick, it would resurface. I had so many sores this year that I was desperate to try anything to get rid of them. Three months ago a friend suggested that I try DR AKHIGBE remedy that\'s helping people get cured from HSV, COUGHING, HIV&AIDS, GENITAL HERPES, SNEEZING, HEPATITIS B, CANCER e.t.c. I quickly ordered the product and started using the remedies. I\'m so relieved to say that I\'ve not had even one outbreak for a whole month now. Moreover, I\'m feeling great from within. I truly endorse this herbal product DR AKHIGBErendered to me. So if you are suffering from any deadly disease you can also contact this great man on his email Drakhigbeherbalhome5@gmail.com contact his whatsApp +2349021374574. 

johnson judith said...

I'm 39 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2019. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr Oduwa have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. As of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol via dr.oduwaspellhome@gmail.com and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine. Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots kindly contact him for more information via droduwaspellhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp him on +2348070685053
wep/ https://myoduwa2blogaddress.blogspot.com
you tube/ https://youtu.be/qljIDs95XVg

Eddie Guerero said...

I am happy to be cured from herpes virus 🦠 totally and completely using the powerful herbal remedies from DR.Osalu he his the great traditional herbalist. you can also get your self cured with this same remedies.you can get in touch with him for any type of deadly disease or virus🦠.H.I.V HERPES. CANCER. H.P.V.ETC. Osalu get in touch with him today for your permanent cure.

WhatsApp number.+234 7047267922

email address

drosalu769@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/Dr-Osalu-101274768874891/

Jennifer Haynes said...

I wanna share my testimony on how I got cured from herpes through the help of Dr Oliha. I've been suffering from herpes for the past one year now and I've been trying and taking a lot of medication but they were not working out for me until I saw a post about Dr Oliha natural remedy, I contacted him and my problems was solved he is a real traditional herbal doctor and he has cured a lot of sickness also. Visit & Contact him on his WhatsApp number:+2349038382931 he will help you out or email oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com