Monday, May 9, 2011

Playlist for the non-grunge nineties, Or: It wasn't all sex and candy

I've been plunged 13-18 years in the past with my recent YouTube watching. I blame Marcy Playground. Now you can blame me.

1. Marcy Playground – ‘Saint Joe on the School Bus’ (1997)


2. The Refreshments – ‘Banditos’* (1996)

Fun fact discovered while Wikipedia-ing the year this song came out: The Refreshments also did the theme tune for the TV show King of the Hill.

3. Spacehog – ‘In The Meantime’ (1996)

(I always just thought of pigs in space when I heard this band’s name, but the other day I said, ‘Stop being such a space hog’ to a friend as we walked along the footpath and realised the second (and probably primary) meaning of their name.)

4. Smashing Pumpkins – ‘Today’ (1993)

I don't want to get into an argument about whether Smashing Pumpkins were grunge or not, okay? I don't think this song is grungy at all (it's kinda proto-emo, don't you think) and it's so good and it has an ice cream truck in it and it's my playlist and if you don't play along I'll take my blog and go home!

5. Toad The Wet Sprocket – ‘Good Intentions’ (1995)



6. Deadeye Dick* – ‘New Age Girl’ (1994)

* I was a bit iffy about including this song, but they are named after a Kurt Vonnegut novel, so...

7. Cracker – ‘Low’ (1993)


8. Fastball – ‘The Way’ (1998)

.

Bonus Track (because it wasn't a single and there's no video, not even just an audio track with an album cover)

Nada Surf - 'Amateur' (originally 1998; this acoustic live version 2010)


No comments: