Monday, September 2, 2019

Checking in on my reading targets for 2019

In my end of year reading post for 2018, I set nine targets. Here's how I'm tracking two-thirds of the way through the year.


1. Read great books

I didn't define the target, so I'm gonna say "great" equals books I've rated 85/100 in the spreadsheet I use to track my reading.

At the moment my success rate is 38%, which is pretty good, so I'd say...

STATUS: ON TRACK


2. Read at least 52 books

I've read 40 books through 8 months, which extrapolates to 60 books for the year.

STATUS: ON TRACK


3. Read at least 10 poetry collections

Currently on pace to read 3, but this target has been hit by the City Library closure and me not getting back into the flow of borrowing poetry books. I reckon I can do it, even if it involves a bit of cramming in Summer.

STATUS: BEHIND SCHEDULE


4. Read more than 40% female authors

Right now I'm right on 40% female, 60% male. This one jumps around month-to-month, so it's useful to know I don't have much margin for error.

STATUS: ON TRACK (just)


5. Read at least a third non-white authors

Currently only hitting 20%. If I do read 60 books, of the next 20, 12 need to be non-white authors. Which is totally doable, but not something to be taken for granted. (Again, I blame to cultural hegemony behind what books get audiobook versions, but that's no excuse)

STATUS: BEHIND SCHEDULE


6. Read less than 40% US authors

Again, I'm at 40% exactly. Knowing this, I'll be able to choose other voices and hit this target comfortably.

STATUS: ON TRACK


7. Read from at least 10 different countries

I've read from 11 countries already (US, NZ, Australia, England, Scotland, Ireland, Norway, Russia, South Africa, Italy, Argentina). So I've met the target but I'd still like to get a bit more diverse.

STATUS: ACHIEVED


8. Read at least 5 works in translation

I've read 5 works in translation so far. Again, would be nice to add a couple more/

STATUS: ACHIEVED


9. Target median age of books read: 2009

Um. So far, the median age is 2018. If I read 60 books in total, and the next 20 are all golden oldies, the median age would still be 2014. So I think it's safe to say I'm not gonna hit this target. I blame the non-fiction bender I've been on, with a particular interest in things like climate change, depression and prejudice - so the more contemporary the better.

But I'll make a note to read a couple books with a least two generations remove before Christmas.

STATUS: EPIC FAIL


OVERALL

The most likely outcome had I not done this check would've been 5/9 targets, assuming I messed up one of the two 40% targets, but now I reckon I'll be able to hit 8. 

Here goes nothing...

No comments: