Saturday, September 24, 2011

Away From The Desk (and I feel fine)

Soundtrack: Springtime in Vienna Wellington



I'm struggling with THE NOVEL at the moment. More to the point, I'm struggling with my attention span. To counter this I've been trying to get out of the house more so it doesn't feel like I'm permanently in front of a screen (over winter, I pretty much was).

Last Friday I went with my brother to the Karori Sanctuary to bush walk and take photos of birds.

Photographic Evidence:




Kaka eating some kind of nut

Hihi (stitchbird) - male
Korimako (bellbird)
Last weekend M. and I went for a walk with friends from the Brooklyn Windmill to Red Rocks. It took four and half hours or so and was pretty awesome.

The South Coast from the Radome Track
Makara Wind Farm, Cook Strait and the South Island
Our lunch spot
View of the South Coast from above Red Rocks

In terms of wildlife, we saw goats, seals and ostrich (though these weren't exactly wild...


Ostrich doing the Boredom Dance


Last night my mum was down from Palmy so we went out for dinner and checked out the RWC2011 Fan Zone on the waterfront (Aussie was playing USA in the Caketin at the time). It was also the first night, I think, of the festival of lights. Different designs were projected on buildings like the boat shed, St Johns and the Stock Exchange Building.

Jazzy St Johns
Burlesque Stock Exchange
Stained Glass Stock Exchange
Ivy League Stock Exchange

I've also been to the Otari-Wilton's Bush twice in two weeks. The first time was an unplanned stop and I didn't have my camera, so of course I saw two karearea (NZ falcon) which I've yet to photograph, and a keruru (I didn't spot any of them in the Karori sanctuary on my recent visit, though I've seen plenty before).

Today I had my camera, so of course all I saw were tui and grey warblers (too quick to photograph) and robins (too dark to photograph). Thems the breaks.

Tui at Otari-Wilton's Bush

No comments: