Tuesday, January 10, 2023

40 songs at 40

Hiya folks. It's my birthday today. I had some cake with friends over the weekend. None of my male friends in attendance have turned 40 yet, and I was asked if I'd made my 40 songs for 40 years playlist yet? It seems to be a thing, though each had different rules that might apply. 

I'm never one to turn down the invitation to create a playlist, so here's what I whipped up last night.

I've tried to pick one song released from each year from 1983 to 2022, though sometimes year of release can be a bit of a vague concept, especially if you consider when things might have actually been popular in NZ in the days before the internet. Each artist can only appear once. I've tried to pick songs that have some kind of resonance with me in the year of release, while also (obviously) still having appeal to me today. My annual music awards on this blog were useful in jogging my memory for songs over the last decade!

I could probably produce another three 40-strong lists without repeating any songs that might be better listens / better memoirs-in-mostly-rock, but this is my current time capsule.

I'll be back tomorrow with the best books I read in 2022, and the day after that with my 2022 music awards.

Until then, it's the hits of the eighties, nineties and today, here on Fluid Thrill FM:

No comments: