Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wilco / Invisible Poetry / Forthcoming absence

Went to Wilco last night at the Town Hall. They played a two and a half hour set, not counting the encore, and kept a pretty consistent level of energy and quality throughout. That's quite a feat.

*

I know I was supposed to post a pantoum on Tuesday. I thought about it, but then I thought, wouldn’t it be more interesting to try and create my own poetic form.  Then I thought that’s a bit presumptious.  Then I thought what if I came up with some parameters and let the roll of the dice determine the specifics (number of lines, the rhyme scheme etc).  Then I found this site which lets you create poems based on tons of different forms. Then I saw it was aimed mostly at kids and decided I needed some time away from the computer.

*

Speaking of time away, I leave early on Saturday morning for the States.  Doing a two week road trip from San Francisco, through Yosemite, King’s Canyon and Sequoia National Parks and ending up in Vegas.  Should be pretty sweet.  Will report back in due course, but it means it’ll be quiet here for a bit.  And I’ll summarise my April and May reading in the one post at the end of next month.

2 comments:

Wheel of Fortune said...

Have a very fine time!

Unknown said...

At the moment I'm reading Other Colors by Orhan Pamuk, and it keeps making me think of you. Firstly he spends a lot of time talking about writing and reading. And he also of course spends a lot of time talking about Istanbul. All in all, pretty good times.