Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Let the good vibes in

The world is a better place when you can say: I'm going to Vietman next month (we fly out 26 March).

The world is a better place when the Sacramento Kings are winning. Even better when those wins come against the evil Los Angeles Lakers in their own building and, the next night, the red hot New Orleans Hornets. The world is a better place with the invention of the .gif and Sactown Royalty.


The world is a better place when there's an exciting new HARDBACK literary journal to submit to.

The world is a better place when you've got your annual head-under-and-everything swim at Lyall Bay out of the way and finally returned to room temperature.

The world is a better place when you spent the weekend playing Singstar with people who can't sing (even worse than you), watching terrible disaster movies (if the year 2012 is anything like the movie, I'm gonna start panicking before the President of the United States gives me permission), and eating cheesecake.

The world is a better place when you have a Moleskine diary. I know I might sound like a bookish-equivalent of what we used to call a "label basher" back in Intermediate. I'm don't have a fixie bike or thick-rimmed glasses and have been quite open about the fact I've all but stopped listening to new music. But the fact remains I love my Moleskine and you're free to call me a hipster or a poser or a character from a Douglas Coupland novel. I haven't had a Moleskine since 2008 (a rather productive year). This year's model was a birthday present from my brother. I had specific requests: it had to be the sort with 7 days on the left page and a lined blank page on the right for random notes, and pocket-sized. I didn't specify colour or hard or soft cover, so I wound up with a red hard cover, which may not have been my choice but I've quickly warmed to it.



The world is a better place when you're sticking to your resolutions, even if you're only netting two hundred words between 5am and 6.45am.

The world is a better place when there's talk of higher duties and back-dating at work, even if you are yet to see anything on paper.

The world is a better place when your wedding is still ages away and you believe everything will just fall into place.

No comments: